I am allmost at the same hurdle as cloun, but one stage earlier in the process.
On Windows I have 2016.01 installed (That’s what the window caption and the about box shows, the splash window shows a big ß). I try to update it to 2019.1.
Update from within Quelea does not work. It tells me to check my internet connection, but that’s ok, and I am not using a proxy. (Would this need a windows firewall exception).
Anyway, I tried to update manually, downloading the installer. There’s only a x64 installer (The doc says: “… even if you are running on a 64 bit machine, since the JRE bundled with Quelea is also 32 bit.”. So obviously it must run on 32.bit Windows. What’s wrong? I intend to run this on a 32-bit system (I do not have 64-bit drivers for all system devices).
So I download the installer anyway. The installer .exe is a 32-bit executable! does it really install on a 64-bit Machine only? I check the contents of the installer .exe, and there’s a 64-bit IRE bundled ==> please update the documentation (is there a 64-bit VLC installatiuon required also?)
Is support for x86 dropped, or could someone provide me with a current x86 version? If it is dropped, why is there no mention in the change log?
So I go back in time, searching for the most recent x86 installer (2018.1) and download it.
When running the installer, it suggests to install to a default location (My current version is installed to different location). When I change the Installation path, it complains, that the folder exists already. (This does not really suggest the installer is aware that I want to update.) Then it does not pick up the start menu folder from my existing installation either.
So I decide to abort that installation. It does not look like the installer knows what it is doing. Seeing the question by cloun confirms my apprehension that this would create a mess of my system.
So here are my quintessential questions.
- Is there a version of Quelea which I can run on my System (Windows 8.1 x86)
- How do I install it? can I update or do I need to uninstall my old version first? If the latter, will my settings and resources be preserved? If no, how do I save them, and how do I restore them into the new version?
And here some requests
- please keep the doc up-to-date
- please mention, how to update in the docs
- handle updates from the installer properly or refer the user to the update documentation if it detects an installed version on the system
- help people find the latest versions suitable for certain versions of the OS