VLC 64bit missing - LInux - Snap

Running Quelea 2022 bata on Linux using snap (Ubuntu and Opensuse).

A dialogue box opens saying

“quelea couldn’t find 64-bit VLC”

Both systems have VLC 64 installed.
As a result, media can’t be played. Any suggestions?

Does a Bug report need to be filed?

1 Like

Tengo un problema similar, si alguien por favor pudiera ayudarme, Quelea aun me pide VLC para reproducir videos y fondos animados, a pesar de haber instalado todo lo necesario

HI Michael,

Until this issue is resolved you mentioned going back to the previous (2021) version. I’d love to however I am running the snap version on Linux Mint and I can’t see any way of downgrading.

Is there any way to down grade manually?

I’ve tried installing the crossplatform Java version - but I have a bunch of issues trying to get that to launch (error: could not find or load main class org.quelea.windows.main.main caused by: java.lang.noclassdeffounderror: javafx/application/application)

So I am wondering whether we can downgrade in snap?

Kind regards.

Phil

I noticed that you can revert (sudo snap revert ‘package’ --revision ###) is this an option?
can I revert to quelea version 2021 via snap?

Hi Phillip,

Sorry for the delay. Yes, you should be able to follow the instructions here to revert: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1198022/how-to-run-a-previous-version-of-a-snap-package

Snap revision numbers are a bit counter-intuitive - you can use revision “788” for 2021.0 (or “718” for 2020.0 if you want to go back further.)

Hope that helps!

Hi Michael,

when I try to install an older version sudo snap revert quelea --revision 788 i receive error: cannot revert “quelea”: cannot find revision 788 for snap “quelea”

I don’t have the previous versions installed, am I able to install the older versions straight from the snap repository?

Blessings

Phil.

Hmm good point, that ability looks like it might be restricted to those who installed it previously. What was the issue with the cross platform installer, in case that’s any easier?

No Problems, Let me purge the Java packages installed and reinstall java 11 and try again.

thanks for your prompt reply…How’s the sleep coming…hope the family is going well.

computer@computer-MacBookAir:~$ /usr/bin/java -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xdock:icon=/path/myIcon.png -jar /home/computer/Quelea/Quelea.jar
Unrecognized option: -Xdock:icon=/path/myIcon.png
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
computer@computer-MacBookAir:~$ java --version
openjdk 11.0.19 2023-04-18
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.19+7-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu122.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.19+7-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu122.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)
java -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -jar /home/computer/Quelea/Quelea.jar
Error: Could not find or load main class org.quelea.windows.main.Main
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javafx/application/Application

Any ideas?

Ah - it looks like you’ve installed the OpenJDK version. Could you try installing the Oracle JDK version of Java and see if that’s any better?

I’m pretty sure I tried that (albeit it may have been Oracle JDK 17 ) but I will give it a go and get back to you

thanks

Sorry, my bad - I was thinking of earlier JDK releases where Oracle bundled JavaFX.

Could you try installing the JDK FX version from Azul Zulu? That has JavaFX included (the other distro does not, which is causing the issue.)

https://www.azul.com/downloads/?version=java-11-lts&os=ubuntu&architecture=x86-64-bit&package=jdk-fx#zulu

1 Like
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007faed65cef74, pid=3923, tid=3946
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.64+19-CA (11.0.19+7) (build 11.0.19+7-LTS)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.64+19-CA (11.0.19+7-LTS, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0x97f74]  pthread_mutex_lock+0x4
#
# Core dump will be written. Default location: Core dumps may be processed with "/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %P %u %g %s %t 9223372036854775808 %h" (or dumping to /home/computer/Quelea/core.3923)
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/computer/Quelea/hs_err_pid3923.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://www.azul.com/support/
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

java -version
openjdk version “11.0.19” 2023-04-18 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.64+19-CA (build 11.0.19+7-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.64+19-CA (build 11.0.19+7-LTS, mixed mode)