Projector screen device randomly reverts to Output 1

When this happens, sometimes it spontaneously reverts back to Output 2, sometimes I had to open Tools | options | Display then set Projector device to “None” then back to “Output 2”

At no time did the computer itself lose contact with the projector. When Quelea switched to Output 1 I could still drag a window onto that window.

I don’t see a way to upload the log file here, but here is an excerpt from the log that shows this happening.

May 26, 2019 9:07:07 AM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run
INFO: Number of devices changed, was 2 now 1

May 26, 2019 9:07:10 AM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run
INFO: Number of devices changed, was 1 now 2

May 26, 2019 9:22:52 AM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run

May 26, 2019 9:22:55 AM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run

May 26, 2019 9:51:40 AM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run

May 26, 2019 9:51:43 AM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run

The laptop is several years old, and has only a 1.6 GHz i7 processor with 4GB RAM
It was connected to the projector by a 15m VGA cable.

How to proceed?

Thanks,
–BM

Hmm, this is bizarre - has this always happened? The only way I can see that the number of devices changes in the log like that is if the OS reports that it’s changed, but that’s weird considering it never lost a connection. As a sanity check, if you connect a second monitor rather than a projector, does it do the same thing?

Either way, it definitely seems that the OS is somewhat “confused” about the status of that second display, even if it doesn’t drop the picture.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I wanted to run some tests.

has this always happened?

This is the first time we tried to use Quelea for our service.
All my tests were done using a standard 4:3 VGA monitor and a 1m VGA cable.

After services were over on Sunday, I brought the cable, the projector and the computer home with me. It has been set up for about 45 minutes, and so far, the exact set of circumstances has not occurred, although the screen went black at one point – I can’t say how long it took for this to happen

I just put a slide up and left things alone and waited.

The test continues.
Windows setting are such that the screen should never go blank whether on battery on on mains current.

While I was typing this, the problem occurred

May 28, 2019 1:16:33 PM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run

May 28, 2019 1:16:36 PM org.quelea.windows.main.GraphicsDeviceWatcher$1 run

This is also peculiar, since the problem occurred at 1:47 local time, not 1:16 as reported

I’m now going to try the same projector, with a short VGA cable to eliminate the cable as a source of the problem.

Update:
We ran Quelea for the entire service last week on the same equipment.
The only differences are these:

• Updated video card driver
  • Removed all software not required for service – there was a video editor in this mix

Best regards,
–B

Hopefully it will continue to work for you then. I would have swapped out the cable as well if you still experience these issues. If you only use one projector and don’t have any need for the Stage View, you could also take a look at this advanced feature. In our church we had issues with a cable being too easy to accidentally unplug from the laptop so that option has helped us a lot.

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon, and during yesterday’s service, we had to manually re-point Quelea at the projector.
Fortunately, this only involved clicking Tools | Options | Display then the OK button. Having done this once, Tools | Options was already on the Display tab, and just clicking OK solved the problem.

We just purchased a new laptop, however this one has only HDMI output, so we purchased an adapter rather than a long enough HDMI cable.

Hopefully this will work well.
I’ll keep that advanced option in mind – thanks!

No problem, do let us know if you would experience issues with that setup as well!